Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Message We're Sending Our Youth

I was out bowling with some of my friends the other night and happened to be at a bowling alley that had a screen to display music videos for the music playing. Pop music was playing, and many of songs I knew the majority of the words to (and was singing along with). Not being one to watch music videos, I had not viewed a single one of them before. All was okay, until Maroon 5’s song “Misery” came on. I know the majority of the words to that song too, but was appalled by the music video! Sexual references and images everywhere, coupled with violence. The girl in the video is going between kissing the singer to throwing him off a building!




This made me wonder about how many of our youth are watching these kinds of videos and what messages are they sending? This particular video is not promoting men to be violent to women, but it seems to say, “If your girlfriend/wife beats you up, that’s okay!” It is still promoting violence! While there are a number of tastefully done music videos, there are so many that can be categorized with the ads that we have been discussing in class, like this one! Ugh – frustrates me beyond belief!


Video from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g6g2mvItp4

No comments:

Post a Comment